- 6(1) Clegg, A., Young, J., Iliffe, S., Rikkert, M. O., & Rockwood, K. (2013). Frailty in elderly people. The Lancet, 381(9868), 752-762. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23395245
- (2) Age UK and the British Geriatrics Society. (2015). Frailty: Language and perceptions; A report prepared by BritainThinks on behalf of Age UK and the British Geriatrics Society. Retrieved from: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/For-professionals/Policy/health-and-wellbeing/report_bgs_frailty_language_and_perceptions.pdf?dtrk=trueith
- (3) Nicholson, C., Gordon, A. L., & Tinker, A. (2016). Changing the way “we” view and talk about frailty…. Age and Ageing, 46(3), 349-351. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27932367
- (4) BMJ Journals, Post Graduate Medical Journal, / Volume 79, Issue 930, A Barton, G Mulley, http://pmj.bmj.com/content/79/930/229
- (5) Lancet; Comprehensive geriatric assessment: a meta-analysis of controlled trials; A.E Stuck, MD, A.L Siu, MD, G.D Wieland, PhD, L.Z Rubenstein, MD, J Adams, PhD, Published:October 23, 1993, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/014067369392884V
- (6) Comprehensive_Geriatric_Assessment_A_Meta-Analysis_of_Controlled_Trials/links/5a2c02a1a6fdccfbbf871501/Comprehensive-Geriatric-Assessment-A-Meta-Analysis-of-Controlled-Trials.pdf, https://www.researchgate.net/profile/G_Darryl_Wieland2/publication/15094521
- (7) Arch Intern Med. 2002 Nov 11;162(20):2269-76. Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly. Wolff JL1, Starfield B, Anderson G. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12418941
- (8) Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, BASSEM ELSAWY, MD, and KIM E. HIGGINS, DO, Methodist Charlton Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, Am Fam Physician. 2011 Jan 1;83(1):48-56. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0101/p48.html
- (9) D McDonald, & J. Christie-Seely. (1984). Working with the Family in Primary Care. Chapter 30. Working with elderly and their families. Praeger Publishing, ISBN: 0-275-91424-0 https://frailtyworkgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SystemsApproach.pdf
- (10) J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001 Mar;56(3):M146-56. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. Fried LP1, Tangen CM, Walston J, Newman AB, Hirsch C, Gottdiener J, Seeman T, Tracy R, Kop WJ, Burke G, McBurnie MA; Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11253156
- (11) Rockwood, K., & Mitnitski, A. (2007). Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits. The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 62(7), 722-727.’
- (12) Clegg, A., Bates, C., Young, J., Ryan, R., Nichols, L., Ann Teale, E., & Marshall, T. (2016). Development and validation of an electronic frailty index using routine primary care electronic health record data. Age and Ageing, 45(3), 353-360.
- (13) A Primary Care-Based Model For Frailty
- (14) Reeves, David, et al. “The Challenge of Ageing Populations and Patient Frailty: Can Primary Care Adapt?” Bmj, 2018, doi:10.1136/bmj.k3349.
- (15) Supporting Routine Frailty Identification and Frailty through the GP Contract 2017/2018.” NHS Choices, NHS, 26 Apr. 2017, www.england.nhs.uk/publication/supporting-routine-frailty-identification-and-frailty-through-the-gp-contract-20172018/.
- (16) NHS Choices, NHS, www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/clinical-policy/older-people/frailty/frailty-risk-identification/.
- (17) Young, A Primary Care-Based Model for Frailty, Geriatrician, Bradford Hospitals Trust National Clinical Director for Integration & Frail Elderly, NHS England, https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/default/files/media/KFYoungv2.pdf
- (18) Lyndon, H. (2015). Reframing frailty as a long-term condition. Nursing Older People, 27(8), 32-39, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26402213
- (19) New Zealand, Frailty in Older People: a Discussion.” Frailty in Older People: a Discussion – Bpacnz, https://bpac.org.nz/2018/frailty.aspx
- (20) Canada, “Clinical Frailty Scale.” Dalhousie University, www.dal.ca/sites/gmr/our-tools/clinical-frailty-scale.html.
- (21) Holland, Muntinga, M. E., Hoogendijk, E. O., van Leeuwen, K. M., van Hout, H. P., Twisk, J. W., van der Horst, H. E., … & Jansen, A. P. (2012). Implementing the chronic care model for frail older adults in the Netherlands: study protocol of ACT (frail older adults: care in transition). BMC geriatrics, 12(1), 19. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22545816
- (22) United Kingdom, BMJ 2018;362:k3349 doi: 10.1136/bmj.k3349 (Published 28 August 2018) https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3349/article-info
- (23) Patient Pattern Website https://patientpattern.com/frailty/
- (24) Quality Health Network Website
- (25) “Living with Frailty: From Assets and Deficits to Resilience.” Routledge & CRC Press, www.routledge.com/Living-with-Frailty-From-Assets-and-Deficits-to-Resilience/Rahman/p/book/9781138301214
- (26) Griffiths, BSN, RN, Jessica. “The Value of Geriatric Frailty Assessment in the Outpatient Setting of COVID-19: A Systematic Literature Review.” Department of Health Sciences, Colorado Mesa University, 28 Mar. 2021.
- Griffiths, BSN, RN, Jessica. “Frailty Tools.” Department of Health Sciences, Colorado Mesa University, 28 Mar. 2021.
The Value of Geriatric Frailty Assessment in the Setting of COVID
Frailty Tools, Jessica Griffiths RN, CMU DNP program
The Electronic Frailty Index Guidance Notes
- Bodenheimer, T., & West, D. (2010). Low-cost lessons from Grand Junction, Colorado. New England Journal of Medicine, 363(15), 1391-1393.
- Squires, D., & Anderson, C. (2015). US health care from a global perspective: spending, use of services, prices, and health in 13 countries. The Commonwealth Fund, 15, 1-16.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2016). National health expenditure data. Retrieved from: https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-andReports/NationalHealthExpendData/index.html?redirect=/NationalHealthExpendData/01_Overview.asp
- Squires, D. & Anderson, G. F. (2015). U.S. health care from a global perspective; spending, use of services, prices, and health in 13 countries. Retrieved from: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2015/oct/us-health-care-from-a-global-perspective
- Peterson, P. G. (2016). Per capita healthcare costs-international comparison. Retrieved from: https://www.pgpf.org/chart-archive/0006_health-care-oecd
- Sawyer, B. & Cox, C. (2017). How does us health care spending compare to other countries. Retrieved from: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/health-spending-u-s-compare-countries/_sf_s=health+spending#item-start
- MD Lee, D. H., Buth, K. J., Martin, B. J., Yip, A. M., & Hirsch, G. M. (2010). Frail patients are at increased risk for mortality and prolonged institutional care after cardiac surgery. Circulation, 121(8), 973-978.
Peikes, D., Swankoski, K., Mutti, A., Anglin, G., Converse, L., Grannemann, T., … & Finucane, M. (2016). Eevaluation of the comprehensive primary care initiative: third Third annual report. Mathematica Policy Research.
Kim, K. I., Park, K. H., Koo, K. H., Han, H. S., & Kim, C. H. (2013). Comprehensive geriatric assessment can predict postoperative morbidity and mortality in elderly patients undergoing elective surgery. Archives Of Gerontology And Geriatrics, 56(3), 507-512.
Muntinga, M. E., Hoogendijk, E. O., van Leeuwen, K. M., van Hout, H. P., Twisk, J. W., van der Horst, H. E., … & Jansen, A. P. (2012). Implementing the chronic care model for frail older adults in the Netherlands: study protocol of ACT (frail older adults: care in transition). BMC geriatrics, 12(1), 19.
- The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice. (2012).The Dartmouth atlas of healthcare.
Hitchcock, G. (2017). National Institute of Health research calls for more research on frailty. Retrieved from: http://www.csp.org.uk/news/2017/12/07/national-institute-health-research-calls-more-research-frailty-care
- Nichols, L. M., Weinberg, M., & Barnes, J. (2009). Grand Junction, Colorado: a health community that works. Washington, DC: The New America Foundation
- Ankuda, C. K., Petterson, S. M., Wingrove, P., & Bazemore, A. W. (2017). Regional Variation in Primary Care Involvement at the End of Life. The Annals of Family Medicine, 15(1), 63-67.
- Teno, J. M., Clarridge, B. R., Casey, V., Welch, L. C., Wetle, T., Shield, R., & Mor, V. (2004). Family perspectives on end-of-life care at the last place of care. JamaJournal of the American Medical Association, 291(1), 88-93.
- Bernstein, R. (2011). Census bureau releases comprehensive analysis of fast-growing 90-and-older population. Retrieved from: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/aging_population/cb11-194.html
- Barr, P. (2014). Baby Boomers will transform health care as they age. Retrieved from: https://www.hhnmag.com/articles/5298-Boomers-Will-Transform-Health-Care-as-They-Age
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2016). CMS national health expenditure fact sheet. Retrieved from:https://www.cms.gov/research-statistics-data-and-systems/statistics-trends-and-reports/nationalhealthexpenddata/nhe-fact-sheet.html
- Clegg, A. & Young, S (2017). Healthy ageing. Retrieved from: http://www.improvementacademy.org/improving-quality/healthy-ageing.html
- Evans, S. (2012). A capacity consideration in goldilocks care. Retrieved from: http://minimallydisruptivemedicine.org/2012/02/09/a-capacity-consideration-in-goldilocks-care-frailty/
- Rocky Mountain Health Plans. (2017). Our story. Retrieved from: https://www.rmhpcommunity.org/about/our-story
- Eamer, Gilgamesh, et al. “Surgical Frailty Assessment: a Missed Opportunity.” BMC Anesthesiology, vol. 17, no. 1, 24 July 2017, doi:10.1186/s12871-017-0390-7. https://bmcanesthesiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12871-017-0390-7
- Falls in Older Patients Guidelines – HealthTeamWorks
Bitton, Asaf. “Finding a Parsimonious Path for Primary Care Practice Transformation.” Annals of Family Medicine, American Academy of Family Physicians, Apr. 2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5891309/
Etz RS;Zyzanski SJ;Gonzalez MM;Reves SR;O’Neal JP;Stange KC; “A New Comprehensive Measure of High-Value Aspects of Primary Care.” Annals of Family Medicine, U.S. National Library of Medicine, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31085526/
McIntyre, Dennis, et al. “Overview, History, and Objectives of Performance Measurement.” Health Care Financing Review, CENTERS for MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES, 2001, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4194707/
Niksic, Kayla; Fatchett, Brenden; Page, Pat MD. “The Secret Sauce – How to Improve Health Care & Lower Costs.” YouTube, 7 Oct. 2015, https://youtu.be/yrihH6Q9yvo
A one-stop site where you can access resources for a comprehensive geriatric assessment. They are based on proactive, personalized primary care of the elderly.
A case study that delves into understanding the needs of people with frailty through proactive primary care practice nurse led frailty assessments.
Dr Halina Clare, Doctors Lane Surgery, NHS Hambleton, Richmond & Whitby CCG
Beyond autonomy: diversifying end-of-life decision-making approaches to serve patients and families.
Gary Winzelberg: Division of Geriatric Medicine, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA. [email protected]
Software used to help educate healthcare workers and improve the lives of geriatric patients and those in need of complex care.
Western Colorado Physicians Group
Primary Care Partners through Western Care
Quality Health Network (QHN)